Introduced back in 2012, the battery-powered Tesla Model S is still in production and available in several different versions. It’s an all-electric five-door liftback car, classified as full-size luxury car in the United States.
Versions and alterations
The Tesla Model S has been produced in several different versions, depending on which battery size, motor size and equipment that the buyer wanted. At the time of writing, cars with batteries in the 60 kWh – 90 kWh range are no longer being produced – all new cars come with the 100 kWh battery. The Model S versions that are available as of January 2019 are 100D and P100D.
- 75 kWh battery
249–259 mi (401–417 km) (EPA)
- 85 kWh battery
253–272 mi (407–438 km) (EPA)
310 mi (500 km) (NEDC)
- 90 kWh battery
270–294 mi (435–473 km) (EPA)
- 100 kWh battery
315–335 mi (507–539 km) (EPA)
Standard: Rear-motor, Rear-wheel drive
D-models: Dual-motor, All-wheel drive
In April 2016, Tesla Inc made certain design changes to the Model S which made it more similar to Model X. Among other things, adaptive LED headlights were added, as well as a HEPA cabin air filtration system. The standard 40 amps charger was discontinued in favor of a 48 amps charger, to facilitate faster charging time at higher-amperage outlets.
Milestones and accolades
- Time Magazine included the Model S in their list of the Best 25 Inventions of the Year 2012.
- In September and November 2013, Model S topped the monthly new car sales in Norway. For the first time in modern-era car sales, the top-selling new car in a country was an electric car!
- Model S was crowned 2013 World Green Car of the Year at the World Car Awards (WCOTY).
- Model S was given the Motor Trend (Magazine) Car of the Year (COTY) Award for 2013.
- Model S was named 2013 Car of the Year by Automobile magazine.
- Model S was the top-selling plug-in electric car globally in 2015 and 2016.
- In December 2015, Model S was the top selling new car in Denmark.
- The Car and Driver magazine named the Model S the Car of the Century in 2015.
- Consumer Reports added the Model S to its recommended list in 2016.
- In September 2018, the accumulated global sales of Model S passed 250,000 units.
Where is the Tesla Model S assembled?
- In Fremont, California, USA.
- In Tilburg, North Brabant, the Netherlands.
Investing in Tesla
When Tesla Inc made its Initial Public Offering (IPO) on 29 June, 2010, 13.3 million shares were offered for $17 each. When the trading day closed, the share price had already gone up to $23.89. NASDAQ data from early February 2019 show that the share price is now well over $320.
Do you think the share price has reached its peak, or is there still money to be made? If you want to buy shares in Tesla Inc, there are stockbrokers that can facilitate the purchase for you.
The ticker symbol for Tesla Inc is TSLA.